Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Diabetic Life


On December 6, 2012, I received the results of my A1C and it was 9.3%. What does that mean? It means I am now a Type 2 diabetic and my blood glucose was out of control and far too high. TMI ALERT! Too many yeast infections is what prompted my Dr. to order blood work and test for diabetes. Yeast loves all the extra sugar your body produces which results in more frequent infection. She was right on the money. I also had an under productive thyroid which we've since gotten under control.

Since becoming a diabetic, I have started taking Metformin, changed my diet and meet with a Health Coach once a month. I try and make better choices when eating out but I do still cheat some. I gave up Coke on December 14, 2012 and, for me, that is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. I used to drink Coke 80% of the time. Now, I drink more unsweet tea, water and diet soda. I'm sure diet soda isn't great either but.. baby steps people.

As of today, my A1C is down to 6.7 and I am approaching 30 pounds lost. It took awhile to gain the weight and it's going to take a while to lose it. The weight is steadily coming off though and I'm doing it the old-fashioned way by eating better and adding exercise (which, I admit, I'm not as gung-ho about) into my daily routine. I may not be able to lose the diabetes but I sure as hell can lose the weight!

My Realistic & Achievable Goals:

  • Continue eating right and watch my carb. intake
  • Drink more water and less diet soda
  • Incorporate more exercise into my daily routine
  • Walk 3-4 times a week for at least 45 minutes
  • Take part in a 5K in the fall


2 comments:

Please use your name and do not post anonymously. I review all comments before they are posted.